A Nucleus is required to start a colony.
These Nucleus Colonies have a young queen and a variety of brood, some laying space and honey.
A traditional Nucleus is made of:
- 1 Frame of Established Brood
- 1 Frame of Eggs and Larvae
- 1 Frame of Honey
- 1 Frame extra, drawn or undrawn.
My Nucleus Hives are more like splits and may be especially prepared starter hives.
While all effort is being made to adhere to strict hygiene protocols and regularly check all hives and only introduce new material. There is always a risk when transferring comb of transferring combs with AFB bacteria.
Presently my overaching quality management system relies on:
- Visual Checks
- Field Tests
- Elimination of any hive with a questionable frame of brood.
- Annual Honey Culture Tests